Send Topic Print
Currently reading (Read 98 times)
Reply #480 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 3:52pm

Black_Widow   Offline
sausageNet God
A thing of beauty is a
joy forever
Hampshire

I finished Fathers and Sons, which I enjoyed more as it went on and was even slightly tearful at the end.  Although I still think Bazarov is rude and obnoxious (but his parents were sweet and I felt really sorry for them).

Currently reading "Underground To Everywhere", a history of London Underground as it turns out I am in fact a train geek.  Dad will be so proud if I ever admit it  Embarrassed

You never know your luck with a knitting needle and a duck, so it's twice round the lighthouse and back in time for tea
IP Logged

Reply #481 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 6:43am

Black_Widow   Offline
sausageNet God
A thing of beauty is a
joy forever
Hampshire

I'm currently reading "A Question of Belief" by Donna Leon - I love her Venice set detective series.

Going through a bit of an Italian detective phase, as I've just read the first six of Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano series and can't wait to read the next six!  They are totally addictive and so much better than the dreadful Michael Dibden (honestly - the books made the TV series look realistic and gritty).

You never know your luck with a knitting needle and a duck, so it's twice round the lighthouse and back in time for tea
IP Logged

Reply #482 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 11:09pm

Black_Widow   Offline
sausageNet God
A thing of beauty is a
joy forever
Hampshire

Currently reading "Cranford".  I didn't watch the TV version, but I am really enjoying this.

IP Logged

Reply #483 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:51pm

dalek   Offline
Egg & Beans on Toast
New zealand

I read Cranford years ago. I was staying at my Grandmas and was far too young to really understand more than half of it. But it was either that or Pilgrims Progress, as they were the only two books she owned. I read Pilgrims Progress on the next visit!

After all tomorrow is another day
IP Logged

Reply #484 - Aug 6th, 2011 at 10:08pm

brizz   Offline
sausageNet God
Id love to turn you on....
Zummerzet

Currently Reading...The biography of Jack Hobbs - the cricketer

....and if I seem to act unkind...... it's only me, it's not my mind, that is confusing things......
IP Logged

Reply #485 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 2:31pm

stig of the dump   Offline
Egg & Beans on Toast
near sevenoaks,kent

Filth - Irvine Welsh. It's a bit sweary....

he's not the messiah,he's a very naughty boy!
IP Logged

Reply #486 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:02am

WillotheWisp   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Turn It On!
UK

stig of the dump wrote on Aug 7th, 2011 at 2:31pm:
Filth - Irvine Welsh. It's a bit sweary....

Perhaps the clue is in the title  Wink

This is quite a good time of year for books as lots of 'celebs' release books on the run up to xmas and autobiographical books are usually my favourite.

The mind has so many pictures...
IP Logged

Reply #487 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 9:43pm

Nunnsofunky   Offline
Global Moderator
I am Mother Superior.
 Don't mess with me.
Kent

Just finished "The Greenhouse" by Audur Ava Olafsdottir.  Beautiful book.

If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
IP Logged

Reply #488 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 1:00pm

WillotheWisp   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Turn It On!
UK

WillotheWisp wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:02am:
lots of 'celebs' release books on the run up to xmas and autobiographical books are usually my favourite.

Well I've recently aquired Biogs on Ray Winstone, Christopher Lee, Jimi Hendrix and Jermaine Jackson.

I'm almost finished the Jermaine  one and it's been compelling reading. A mix of amazing highs and terrible lows but brilliant.

The mind has so many pictures...
IP Logged

Reply #489 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 5:36pm

stig of the dump   Offline
Egg & Beans on Toast
near sevenoaks,kent

My bro' has just introduced me to John Irving. Loved 'Until I Find You'; thought 'The Hotel New Hampshire' was way too farcical, and am presently reading 'A Widow For One Year', which I'm really enjoying. Also recently read 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly', by Jean-Dominique Bauby, which was humbling;, and 'Factotum' by Charles Bukowski, which was annoying and dull. In the 'To Read' pile is 'Walking On Glass' by Iain Banks ( my favourite book ), 'Lights Out In Wonderland' - DBC Pierre, and 'Made In America' by Bill Bryson. I'll keep you posted...

he's not the messiah,he's a very naughty boy!
IP Logged

Reply #490 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 2:08pm

Nunnsofunky   Offline
Global Moderator
I am Mother Superior.
 Don't mess with me.
Kent

Just reading The Sisters Brothers and absolutely loving it!

If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
IP Logged

Reply #491 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 7:29pm

Black_Widow   Offline
sausageNet God
A thing of beauty is a
joy forever
Hampshire

I've just read three Andrea Camilleris (Inspector Montalbano) one after the other - just can't get enough!  Waiting for the next 2 to come out in paperback now.

Currently reading Bruce Chatwin's collected letters - his ones from school are adorable - example, to his brother "Dear Hugh, I've bought you a Dinky toy for your birthday.  Love Bruce".

IP Logged

Reply #492 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 6:39pm

Black_Widow   Offline
sausageNet God
A thing of beauty is a
joy forever
Hampshire

"Ballet Shoes" by Noel Streatfeild, which I never read as a child. Embarrassed

The cover is pastel pink and it has silver writing on it - fellow commuters probably think it's chick lit!

Recently finished "White Cargo", autobiography of Felicity Kendal, which was quite good.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 
Send Topic Print