Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goodbye to CDs? (Read 2 times)
Nov 16th, 2011 at 12:36am

WillotheWisp   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Turn It On!
UK

I've read several times recently that CD format is being abandoned by most major labels by the end of 2012!!
Could this be true?

What do people think?
Do you still buy CDs or have you converted to digital download.
Is the golden age of albums a thing of the past and the return of single song downloads the future?

Or do you still treasure your old vinyl collection and carefully rewind those old cassettes.

I really don't like digital formats.
Yes its convenient but Vinyl is still my first choice followed by CD and I'd even buy a cassette before a download!

What's everyone elses preferred way to purchase and listen to music these days?

The mind has so many pictures...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 10:03am

stig of the dump   Offline
Egg & Beans on Toast
near sevenoaks,kent

I still have my old vinyl, as well as cassettes, c.ds and minidiscs. One of the nicest quotes I ever heard was ( surprisingly ) from Gene Simmons, of Kiss. He said that the most exciting sound he knew of was the crackly hiss the needle made when it was lowered onto a piece of vinyl. I know what he means. When you bought an album ( on vinyl ), you KNEW you had something worthwhile in your hands. Sometimes the sleeve was as engrossing as the music. I wont get rid of my vinyl, for reasons mainly nostalgic. I wont get rid of my cassettes or minidiscs because I have loads of recordings of gigs I have been to on those formats, and I dont have time to transfer them onto my computer. And despite their insignificant appearance, c.ds are fairly durable, unlike hard-drives which seem capable of spontaneous destruction when you least expect it. Flash drives (with no moving parts) make a lot of sense. I recently had my iPod Mini apart to change the battery. Modern electronics are nothing-short of miraculous, but seeing that tiddly hard-drive was both amazing and scary; it looked so fragile.

he's not the messiah,he's a very naughty boy!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 6:10pm

Steptoes Son   Offline
Sausage, Egg & Beans on Toast

I think CD's, DVD's and even Blu Ray will be dead in 10 years time, everything is gearing upto digital downloads.

Their are that many devices which support digital, phones, tablets, laptops, tv's etc

I really cant see CD's, DVD's surviving, the way technology pushing on, any one got a SMART TV? I've been looking at one, it has internet tv built in, watch about anything you want, films, iplayer, facebook etc.

Sorry to say owning something physical might well and truely be over sooner than you think!

Here's one I made Earlier
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 6:27pm

WillotheWisp   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Turn It On!
UK

Like the Kindle the thing that worries me about downloads is what happens if your machine breaks or you lose it etc.
Where does all your music or whatever you've paid for go?
Is it lost forever or do you have to back everything up.

I'm genuinely unsure how it all works and thats part of what puts me off.

If I copied all my CDs and vinyl onto MP3s then got rid of them. What happens if they get deleted or the MP3 player becomes old and outdated etc??  Undecided

The mind has so many pictures...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 10:03am

Bear   Offline
sausageNet God
Where's the Bear?
Basingstoke

WillotheWisp wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 6:27pm:
Like the Kindle the thing that worries me about downloads is what happens if your machine breaks or you lose it etc.
Where does all your music or whatever you've paid for go?
Is it lost forever or do you have to back everything up.

I'm genuinely unsure how it all works and thats part of what puts me off.

If I copied all my CDs and vinyl onto MP3s then got rid of them. What happens if they get deleted or the MP3 player becomes old and outdated etc?? Undecided

I feel your pain as I too don't really know how the modern music world works - I was surprised though to hear a muscian say that!

To my nostalgic mind you just beat the feeling of holding something tangible  Undecided

Here!
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:36pm

Black_Widow   Offline
sausageNet God
A thing of beauty is a
joy forever
Hampshire

If I download stuff, I then put it onto a CD because I like listening to music on a stereo in the lounge, not a computer in the spare room!

You never know your luck with a knitting needle and a duck, so it's twice round the lighthouse and back in time for tea
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 10:56pm

Bear   Offline
sausageNet God
Where's the Bear?
Basingstoke

Bear wrote on Dec 16th, 2011 at 10:03am:
To my nostalgic mind you just beat the feeling of holding something tangible 

After re-reading my post (following Widow's reply) I've only just realised that I'd left the door wide open for Willo to walk through  Shocked

I reckon his eye sight must be going in his old age or it might be for another reason  Shocked Grin

Here!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print